- This event has passed.
Level 1: Getting Started
May 12 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Center for Complicated Grief’s workshops focus on knowledge and skills needed to work with complicated grief (CG) using a time-limited, targeted psychotherapy that has been tested and proven efficacious in three large NIMH-funded randomized controlled trials.
This one-day workshop is designed to provide a conceptual framework for understanding grief and adaptation to loss generally and in relation to complicated grief. We include strategies and procedures for screening, diagnosis and assessment of individuals with complicated grief and discuss how to differentiate this condition from major depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. We provide an overview of Complicated Grief Treatment (CGT) and introduce some simple, practical procedures that you can use in your practice.
Through a combination of didactic content, interactive activities and group discussions, you will learn how to:
- Demonstrate understanding of acute, integrated and complicated grief and adaptation to loss by explaining these concepts to a friend or family member
- Implement effective screening, diagnosis and assessment procedures with bereaved clients
- Recognize differences between CG, PTSD and MDD
- Introduce and explain the use of a grief monitoring diary
- Organize a plan to do situational revisiting
Who should attend?
- Any member of a helping profession that works with grief
- Graduate student in an accredited health or mental health program that works with grief
Professional Registration Fee: $250.00
Student Registration Fee:$125.00
Student enrolled in an accredited graduate health or mental health program. Proof of enrollment required.
Group Registration Fee: $200.00
Ticket price per attendee for groups of 5 or more
Registration to this event is offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. The registration deadline is Thursday, May 11th at 12 noon EST. Please note that registration will be closed once all of our slots are filled, which may be in advance of this deadline. All registration sales are online only, no exceptions.
- New York State Education Department State Board for Social Work (provider #0021)
- National Association of Social Workers (approval #886737008-0)
NJ Social Workers: The NJ State Board of Social Work Examiners has approved programs at CSWE accredited institutions as a source of continuing education hours. Columbia School of Social Work is a CSWE accredited institution.
Please email the Center immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to attend. Registration fees can be refunded if cancellation is made at least 5 business days prior to the workshop (cancellation must be made by Friday, May 5th). If cancellation is not made within 5 business days, we cannot guarantee that registration can be transferred to another workshop.
Columbia University makes every effort to accommodate individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodations to attend an event at Columbia University, please contact the Office of Disability Services at 212-854-2388 or email@example.com at least 5 days in advance of the event.